Friday, October 14, 2011

Timed Addition Quizzes

On Monday, the children will bring home their corrected math quizzes. In order to move to the next quiz they need to have no more than 2 problems wrong. In addition, they need to finish the quiz within a certain time. (I don't tell them what the time is, because that tends to stress them out. :o(

The children corrected their own quizzes this afternoon using an answer key. This weekend, I will review the quizzes and add a score to it written as a fraction - the number correct over the total number of problems. Many children completed their quiz accurately, however, most of them did not complete the quiz quickly enough. If I write "You got it!" on the quiz, they passed and will go on to the next quiz (+1,+2,+3). Those children will receive 3+ flashcards to study for that quiz. They should cut the flashcards out and begin studying Monday night.

If I write "Keep studying" or "Study harder so you can go faster" on the quiz, the child needs to keep studying +2 so they can complete the first quiz more quickly. (If anyone needs new +2 flashcards, they are welcome to them.) I have emphasized to the children that I don't want them to worry, I just want them to study hard.

The next quiz will be given next Friday. (Typically quizzes will be given twice each week - Tuesdays and Fridays. We ran out of time today to make that possible.)

As always, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

No comments: