Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Publishing New Writing

Holy cow! Your children are incredible writers. They are currently working to publish their second personal narrative. Each child has shown tremendous growth. At the coffee next week, we'll show you both published stories. We know you'll be very impressed.

This time around, the children created timelines of their topic. Each step in the story had it's own spot in the timeline. But we didn't stop there. For each dot, we created 3-5 sentences explaining the original dot with SPECIFIC detail!

For example, one super author originally wrote, "My dad picked me up and carried me away."

She took that one sentence and turned it into, "My dad lifted me off the ground and put me on his shoulders. I wiggled. I shrieked really high. I thought, 'What's he doing?' I looked back at Stephanie. My eyes watered. My dad carried me to the car. I tried to stand up but I was strapped in. I frantically grabbed Kiwi and started to cry."

Now that's specific detail!

Ask your third grader some examples of specificity in their writing. They'll be able to show off to you at our coffee next Thursday, February 7.

No comments: