Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Nonfiction

I started my focus lesson at Reading Workshop this morning with a story. It was a story about myself actually. I told the children about the fun I had shopping at New England Mobile Book Fair and Barnes and Noble. (Thanks to the PTC and to some generous holiday gifts, I felt rich with gift certificates!) Anyway, I bought a ton of series books for our classroom, and several books for myself.

Yesterday, I was making final choices at Barnes and Noble. I had in my hand a nonfiction book about Louisa May Alcott (author of my favorite book Little Women)and her life with other citizens of Concord, MA. In my other hand were several examples of realistic fiction and historical fiction. As I told the children, I decided to buy the nonfiction.

I bought it, not only because I love Louisa May Alcott, but because I don't read enough nonfiction. It's smart for readers to read widely, many titles, many authors and many genre. It's smart for the kids too. So for the next 5 weeks or so, children will be asked to read some non-fiction every day.

I hope they end up loving it. I hope they reach for nonfiction often in their readerly lives.

No comments: