Thursday, September 20, 2007

9 Dot Challenge

Well, I'm probably getting to the computer too late for you to try this tonight... But, in your child's folder you'll find a small piece of paper with 9 dots arranged in 3 straight rows.

The challenge is to draw four straight lines in order, to touch all nine dots - all without lifting your pencil. I know it's possible (I saw it happen at a class I took this summer), but we were not able to solve it in class today. So, we opened up the challenge to the families. If you can't get to it tonight, try it over the weekend!

****This was a really good opportunity to discuss not getting overly frustrated when facing a very challenging task. I was very impressed with the children's ability to stay calm and keep trying.

*****Hint: Think outside of the box.

No comments: