Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Baseball Saved Us







Third grade listeners have been very interested in listening as I read "Baseball Saved Us" by Ken Mochizuki. It is a book about a young Japanese-American boy and his family who are sent to an internment camp after the attack on Pearl Harbor. During their time in the camp, families work together to build a baseball field where they can all play.

As we read, we learned that proficient readers ask questions as they read. We had many questions as we read this book. Today, we discussed answers to two questions:

How did baseball save them?

Why was the main character so angry at the guard?

Ask your third grader to share their thoughts about these questions. You may even want to reread it together. It's a great text that families can discuss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for another informative website. The place else could
I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method?
I have a undertaking that I am simply now running on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

Stop by my web page - vakantievilla frankrijk