Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Money

Who doesn't love money? :o) These third graders certainly do! This morning we began a review of counting change. The following is a list of things I encourage them to practice and remember:

*The name and value of each coin

*When counting coins they should generally begin with the largest value. Then look to get to a "10" (the numbers you say when you count by tens).

For example, if I have 2 quarters, 2 dimes, a nickel and 3 pennies, I will start with the quarters - $.50. Then I will continue counting with the dimes - $.60, $.70. (Counting tens is easiest.) Next I will count the nickel - $.75 and finally the pennies - $.71, $.72, $.73.

However, if I have 1 quarter, 2 dimes a nickel and 3 pennies, I will start with the quarter - $.25, but then jump to the nickel - $.30 because I want to get to tens as quick as I can. Then I would continue on with my dimes and my pennies.

*When writing the value of coins in third grade we do not use the cent sign. (As I told the children that is so "first and second grade...")In third grade we write money with the dollar sign and a decimal point - $.82.

*The value of groups of quarters - 2 quarters = $.50, 3 quarters = $.75, 4 quarters = $1.00.

Next week we will began making change. Although it is tricky, they will love it! :o)

No comments: