Thursday, December 3, 2009

Reading Aloud

Please read aloud to your children! I know they are third graders and can read independently, but they can still get so much from you reading to them. Some of the many benefits are:

*inspires writing
*expands vocabulary
*boosts comprehension
*increases achievement
*improves listening skills
*builds general knowledge
*encourages visual imagery
*broadens knowledge of genre
*reveals different writing styles
*fosters curiosity and imagination
*reveals different language patterns
*promotes motivation to read and learn
*extends knowledge of literary elements

Don't be afraid to share your THINKING as you read aloud!
You might say:

*I'm wondering...
*I predict.... because...
*If I were ________ (character's name) I would have...
*I liked the part when...

It's mostly just important to share the kind of thinking you do when you are reading on your own. You are a fantastic model for your children!

Happy reading! :o)

No comments: