Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tuesdays Homework: Weekend Paragraph

On Tuesday night your child will be asked to complete his/her first homework at home. The assignment will be to write a paragraph about one thing they did over the weekend. The paragraph will have 3 FCAs. Although I do expect children to complete their homework with a large degree of independence, and they do understand the concepts and expectations, I thought it might be helpful if I explained the expectations to you. This week's FCAs will be:

Topic sentence
3 Specific details (related to the topic sentence)
Capitalization and punctuation

A topic sentence is one of the first sentences of a paragraph. It should let the reader know what the paragraph is about. I'm challenging the students to create details that are specific and help the writing come alive. For example, a child can write, "We were excited." But the details becomes more specific when the child writes, "We jumped up and down, screaming and clapping our hands."


Reminder, I expect written homework to take no more than 30 minutes. If your child is feeling overly frustrated, or the homework is taking an extensive amount of time, please let me know. I don't want homework to become a battle or a miserable experience for students or parents.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

No comments: