Friday, October 10, 2008

The Hundred Penny Box

Each afternoon at 2:15 the 221 community is gathered on the rug eagerly listening to our latest chapter book. I read aloud a text to the class that I think the children will find engaging, that has a theme I would like to talk about, is a genre I would like them to be exposed to, and is more challenging than most children can read independently. Our latest chapter book was "The Hundred Penny Box" by, Sharon Bell Mathis.

When we finished the book today, the children were quite frustrated with the ending. They felt like they were left hanging, and many children asked if there was a sequel. I acknowledged their feelings and challenged them to reread the book with their families. It has some interesting themes surrounding family dynamics and relationships with elderly, grown children and young children. If you are interested, I am happy to share my copy. Alternatively, I am sure you can find it at the Needham Public Library or your local book store.

Happy reading! :o)Melanie

No comments: