Monday, May 2, 2011

Current Events

This morning the Room 221 community had a brief conversation about the death of Osama Bin Laden. I chose to discuss it as a class because I heard several conversations happening amongst the children. I didn't want conversations to swing out of control with misinformation, or with information that might frighten some children. I think that such conversations are difficult to have with young children because there is so much content that is not yet appropriate for them to hear. I am also aware that families have different feelings about what should and should not be shared with their children. Therefore, I kept the conversation simple and brief. Most children knew that Bin Laden had been killed. Most children knew that he was connected to September 11. I asked the children not to have further conversations at school unless it was with an adult. I encouraged them to share any questions they had with a trusted adult at home or with a teacher.

As always, please let me know if you have any comments or concerned.

:o)Melanie

No comments: