Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Arrays

An array is a rectangle arranged into equal rows. We learned that an array is one form of multiplication. For example, if I have 3 rows with 5 squares in each row, I have a multiplication problem. I can find out how many squares in all by multiplying 3 x 5. (You probably learned this as finding the area. We will make that connection in a couple of months.)

Today we discussed that the dimensions of the rectangle are also the factors. Thinking about the previous example, 3 x 5 are the dimensions of the rectangle, and also factors of fifteen.

This morning we began to practice identifying factors of a number. I challenged third grade mathematicians to find the factors in pairs. For example, if I am finding the factors of 18, I know I should start with 1 because 1 is a factor of every number. I will automatically identify 18 next because 1 x 18 = 18. Next, I will list 2 as a factor because 18 is an even number, and I know that all even numbers are multiples of 2. I figure out what to multiply by 2 to get to 18, and realize that 9 is also a factor of 18. I continue in this way until my possibilities are exhausted.

Challenge your child to find the factors of 12 or 24 at home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of guy who loves to try fresh stuff. Currently I am making my personal photovoltaic panels. I'm doing it all by myself without the aid of my staff. I am using the internet as the only way to acheive this. I saw a very brilliant website that explains how to create solar panels and so on. The website explains all the steps required to solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure about how correct the info given there is. If some guys over here who had xp with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the site it would be grand and I would highly treasure it, cause I extremely enjoy [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Thanks for reading this. You guys are the best.